Thursday, October 8, 2020

Hugo 2014: Best Novel

 


    I have read the novels nominated for the 2014 Hugo awards, and here is my ranking.  If you'd rather not know, so as not to spoil your own vote, then stop reading now. 



    The nominees are:


    Warbound, by Larry Correia


    Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie


    Parasite, by Seanan McGuire 


    Neptune's Brood, by Charles Stross


    The Wheel Of Time (series), by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson 



    And my vote for the 2014 Hugo award for Best Novel goes to Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie.  


    It's one of the best books I've ever read.  The central character is one of the most unique characters I've ever read.  The civilization depicted is the most unique human based SF culture I've ever seen.  The story is very well crafted, and moves the reader through the mileu effortlessly, with equally effortless deep insights into the central character. 


    Runners up are,


    1: Neptune's Brood, by Charles Stross.  It's post-transhuman cyberpunk, which has never been my favorite genre, but it is well written, and the science in it is spot-on.  This was a close decision, but what did it in, for me, was the number of info-dumps.  I appreciate the education in the intricacies of interstellar finance in a civilization that does not have FTL transportation, but the number of info-dumps and outright lectures in the text bothered me.  


    2: Warbound, by Larry Correia.  It's steampunk alternate-reality fantasy set in the 1930's.  It's a rollicking good steampunk adventure.  It is well written, but it is fairly typical of the genre.  It is well crafted, and definitely worthy of Hugo consideration, but the previous two _just_ nudged it into third place. 


    3: Parasite, by Seanan McGuire.  It is a take on Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, but with genetically engineered parasitic worms in place of alien pods.  It is well crafted, but it is entirely predictable.  I figured out the plot about halfway through the book, and there weren't any surprises after that.  


    I did not consider The Wheel Of Time, because this is a contest for Best Novel, not for Best Series. 

    Comments

  • Alan Petrillo The only ones of Heinlein's lectures that I found obtrusive were those in /For Us The Living/. He got better at slipping them in after that. And he was not prone to info-dumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment