Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Southern Cross Location.

 

    Got out of town on a boat for the Southern islands.

    Sailing reach before a following sea.

    She was making for the trades on the outside, and the downhill run to Pape'ete.

     

    Off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas,

    we got eighty feet of the waterline, nicely making way.

    In a noisy bar in Avalon, I tried to call you.

    But on the midnight watch I realized why twice you ran away.

     

     

    I've figured out this guy's position. 

     

    He's on a big-ass sailboat, southbound from Santa Catalina island, running perpendicular to the wind, with the waves, north of the trade winds, heading toward a point east of the Marquesas before turning with the wind toward Pape'ete, Tahiti, and it's sometime in the early morning. 


    Comments

  • Alan Petrillo That isn't one of the lyrics that I recall.

  • Robert Luis Rabello That's a reference to a Catalina Island radio station, I believe.

  • Alan Petrillo The subject of Santa Catalina Island, and its "capital city", Avalon, makes interesting reading.

  • Robert Luis Rabello When I was 9, I plotted with a friend to run away to Santa Catalina. We were going to use his grandmother's row boat . . . Kinda silly now, but it sure made a lot of sense back then!

No comments:

Post a Comment