Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The Mafioso

 

    I have long referred to that portion of my personality that would like to screw everything in a skirt as "The Greasy Italian".  Now I think I have to put a name on another facet of my personality.  

     

    As I've been reading /Shock Doctrine/, by Naomi Klein, and seeing the obscene amounts of profit that contractors are making from the US government, even when they don't get done whatever it was they were contracted to do, the thought that keeps popping into my head is "how can I get some of that action?"  Rather than an exposee, this portion of my personality sees /Shock Doctrine/ almost as a textbook for how to participate in the orgy of grift, graft, and greed that is our government contractor system.  For now, I think I'll refer to this facet of my personality as "The Mafioso".  

     

    For all of the principles involved in /Shock Doctrine/, the Disaster Capitalism that Klein decries isn't so much about spreading Friedmanist ideology as it is about making money.  It's about greed.  It's about being able to juke the US government out of its collective shorts, and get away with it.  

     

    And that greedy little part of me, The Mafioso, wants a piece of the action. 


    Comments
    • Charlie Martin It's an interesting point. There is a tradition in Buddhism that on the night he finally Woke Up, Buddha remembered all his past lives -- as a thief and as a person who lost something to a thief, as a murderer and as a murder victim, as a rabbit and as a wolf -- and so saw that every person has all those capacities in some degree ... and from that maitri and karuna, "lovingkindness and compassion".

  • Charlie Martin But you might also want to look up just how much those "obscene profits" really are: defense contractors usually make less than Apple and Microsoft.

  • Robert Luis Rabello I gave that book to my sister when I saw her on Thursday . . . Her reaction was . . . predictable . . .

    ;)

  • Jay Ashworth Greed, in a word, is bad.

    :-)

  • Charlie Martin I'm not a fan of gravity and thermodynamics either.

  • Alan Petrillo I'm also not a big fan of entropy. Being old kind of sucks. Getting old is nice, it's _being_ old that sucks.

  • Charlie Martin As Mom used to say "Getting old ain't for sissies."

  • Jay Ashworth I'm much less a fan of gravity

  • Jay Ashworth ...than I was 50 pounds ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment